Only $50 and some tender loving care. We’ll do the digging for you!
How to get your TreeVitalize trees:
1. The following trees are anticipated to be available in the Spring of 2020:
- Large Trees (50′ or more):
- Red Maple
- London Plane Tree
- Swamp White Oak
- Honey Locust, Elm (disease-resistant varieties)
- Red Oak
- Silver Linden
- Bur Oak
- Medium Trees (30′ to 50′):
- American Hornbeam
- River Birch (single stem)
- Sugar Maple
- Black Gum (Tupelo)
- Small Trees (under 30′):
- Flowering Cherry
- Paperbark Maple
- Crabapple (Prairie Fire)
2. Complete the Property Owner Tree Request Form and return it in person or by mail to:
Ms. Jill Henry, Asst. Township Manager
Township of Derry, 600 Clearwater Road (off HersheyPark Dr.)
Hershey, PA 17033
Like last year, we are not asking for an upfront payment at this time because of the uncertainty of our TreeVitalize Grant Request being funded. If the Grant Request is funded, all those who request trees will be contacted at that time and payment of $50.00 per tree would be required. You can request either one or two trees. The deadline for submitting the Tree Request form is June 14, 2019.
Even if the Derry Township/DEAC grant request is funded, the amount awarded may be less than the requested amount. In this case, not all applicants may get a subsidized tree. Priority will be given according to the date of application (first come first serve).
3. When selecting the site for your tree, please remember the tree must be:
- Between the sidewalk and street or, if you don’t have sidewalks, within 8 feet of the street
- 20 feet or more away from a street intersection
- 10 feet or more from a fire hydrant, street light, traffic sign, or utility pole
- Not on top of stumps of old trees that have been removed
- Not on the property line
- Not on top of utility lines
- Not within 20 feet of another new street tree or an existing street tree
4. After receiving the completed Tree Request Form, our tree representatives will visit your proposed tree location to determine whether the site is appropriate.
You do not need to be home for this visit. If the tree representatives believe that a change of location is necessary, perhaps to avoid a conflict with a utility line or to suggest a better suited species, they will give you a call.
5. In March or April, 2020, we will place a small flag at the proposed location of your tree.
PA One Call, a free utility service, will inspect your tree location and mark areas with underground wires and pipes, so we don’t dig there. A representative of Derry Township will call PA One Call.
6. After the TreeVitalize trees are planted, the care and maintenance of the trees become the responsibility of the property owner.
This includes frequent watering. It is recommended that for the first growing season, the tree be given 10-20 gallons of water per week. Depending on precipitation, some watering may also have to be done the second year as well.
Also, it is recommended that 2″ to 3″ of mulch be maintained around the tree (but not against the trunk) for several reasons: to keep mowers and weed trimmers from damaging the trunk, to discourage weeds, and to retain moisture. The trees may also need occasional pruning as they grow. Trees should be kept weed free. Keep in mind the requirements for branch heights over adjacent sidewalks and streets.
If you have any questions when you are filling out your Tree Request Form, please call Chuck Gassert, our TreeVitalize Program Coordinator, at (717) 566-5058.
If our TreeVitalize Grant is approved, we will contact all those who requested trees to make a $50.00 payment per tree payable to the Township of Derry and to send the check to the same address as the Tree Request Form.